Friday, June 8, 2012

Skincare Lessons Straight From Pharmacy School

I've gone through one year of pharmacy school and I feel like I still know nothing about drugs.  But what I can tell you is that aspirin makes one of the greatest spot treatments for acne around because it is dirt cheap and highly effective.



A little bit of science for you:
Aspirin is also known as acetylsalicylic acid with salicylic acid being its main metabolite.  Sound familar? That's because it is the active ingredient in many toners and acne medications.  Salicylic acid is an oil-based exfolient that works to rid of dead skin that can clog pores.

What I like to do is add a little water to a tablet and wait until it dissolves in order to form a paste.  I use a cotton swab or brush to dab that lightly onto any problem areas and let it sit overnight.  This can be very drying so I recommend using it only for a small area at a time.


2 comments: