Saturday, August 11, 2012

let me let you in on a little food secret

If you happened to notice from my post of random Florida pictures or just because you're in the know, we are currently in the middle of avocado season. This means one thing to me...guacamole!!! Now, I don't want to toot my own horn but I have been told that I make a killer guac and so I wanted to share with you what makes mine so special so that everyone can make the most out of this season.

Measurements are relative to me. I kind of just go with the flow so I am not going to include them in here. If you really don't know, feel free to look at the picture below and use your best judgement. 

You want to start off with some ripe avocados. They should be mushy and not brown. Mash those suckers up in a bowl and keep the seed in there. I was told once that this prevents it from browning quickly. I have no idea if there is truth behind it, but it doesn't really hurt to keep it in unless you accidentally eat it. I like to add chopped up tomato, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno at first. Mix in a little lime juice and salt to taste. Then I add mexican crumbling cheese for a creamier texture and because I like the taste of it. The real kicker comes in at the end. I add some chopped and seeded cucumbers which adds crunch and keeps the guacamole light and refreshing. 

Of course there are other alternatives, this just happens to be my favorite. Give it a try and let me know what you think! 


2 comments:

  1. Mmmm Avocados are like my favourite food! So delicious, I'll definitely be trying your guacamole recipe next time I have nachos! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had eaten avocado, I guess I'm missing out. x

    ReplyDelete