Sunday, August 19, 2012

Thrift Tips


Last weekend was a 50% off everything day at the discount family outlet which means one thing...marathon thrifting with my mother! And I mean marathon, that lady can shop for hours and I sometimes have to bring snacks to hold me over. I love it but it can be overwhelming for some so I wanted to share some of my top tips for thrifting:
1. Allow yourself some time. It takes a lot of time and patience to sift through everything in the store, but I recommend that you do, for the most part. There's only one of each item so it can be hard to see so you might miss out on something great if you don't.

2. Stuff anything in your cart that looks like something you may use. You can go ahead and sift through it later. I just find this easiest for me, especially if certain colored tags are on sale because I tend to forget which colors are on sale. Also, some things look differently on the hanger so it's good to try things on and see what works and what doesn't. Which brings me to my next point...

3. Try things on. Some places have fitting rooms, some don't. For those that don't there are usually mirrors which you can look in to help you use your best judgement. 

4. Don't be afraid to get creative. Not everything is going to fit exactly how you want or be exactly what you want. I like to use this as a time to be creative. You can find items for cheap that may look better with studs or maybe pants look better as shorts. Also, adding a belt to something can help it fit better. I tend to do a lot of cutting and sewing with my thrifted items and I don't feel bad because I didn't spend too much money on them. Plus, it's fun to do.

5. Experiment with textures, styles, and patterns. I think that the thrift store is the best place to do this because you aren't spending a fortune on a style that you may not like later or only wear a few times. It is a great place to find unique pieces so you should definitel take advantage of that.

Happy Thrifting!
Brown Flats, Head Scarf, Coach Bag, and JCrew Shorts all found at various thrift stores

1 comment:

  1. I wish we had thrift stores in the UK! :( The vintage stores are so expensive!

    www.studdedkisses.com

    ReplyDelete